Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Hardships of Prisoners- A letter

Mr. Urban,

     I am unhappy person now lying in one of the goals of this kingdom, to which I was committed about ten months past, on an accusation of felony, though entirely innocent, as afterward appeared on my trial, my poverty and want of friends preventing any person, till then, from speaking truth in my favour, and disappointing artifices of a malicious prosecutor.- But the grievance I complain of is not my commitment, for a crime of which I was not guilty, but the tyranny and oppression of the goaler; for, after I had been declared innocent by the jury, and the prosecution discovered to be founded on malice and ill-nature, instead of being immediately discharged, and sent home to pursue that labour by which I had before supported a wife and four small children, I was hurried back to prison, there to lie till I could raise 30 s. to pay the goaler what he calls his fees.- If any situation on earth merits, or any evil merits the attention of the legislature, surely 'tis the case of unhappy prisoners in my circumstances. I have lain here six months, my family starving, my credit and character ruined, and my spirits broken, without out any means of procuring redress against the unjust prosecutor, or any satisfaction for the numerous calamities which he has brought upon me.
     I have heard much talk of the equity of our laws, but surely if they had not been either defective or abused, I should not now suffer, being innocent, without hope of relief.- If goalers must have large salaries for the execution of their office, let the public pay them, and let not the sufferings of the wretched be increased by their rapine and inflexibility. My companions here are debtors, who, that they have either satisfied, or been forgiven by their creditors, cannot obtain their liberty till Mr. Goaler is paid his fees: here therefore they languish many many of them with cold and hunger, and some with infirmity and disease, till death sets them free without fee or reward.
                                                                                                                                    A.P.

***The order lately made that prisoners acquitted at the Old Bailey should be instantly discharged, is a proof that such an order was deemed equitable and just, and leaves those who have it in their power to render it universal, without excuse, for having neglected to add  so valuable a blessing to his majesty's mild and happy reign.


The London Magazine, and Monthly Chronologer. Ireland, Edward Ekshaw, 1741.


No comments:

Post a Comment